Bob,

I have zero brand loyalty and very little sentimentality about
cameras. I inherited my father's camera too, a fine 1953 Leica IIIf
kit. He loved it. I found it a pain in the ass to use, and sold it
after a year or two worth of trying to use it honoring his memory. His
memory remains just as beloved and full of respect without the camera
in my hands. It's all just equipment to do the job I want, which is to
make photographs. I don't know why the insinuation regards marketing
and advertising.

I shot with Nikon SLRs and Leica RFs for thirty+ years. Had the same
Nikon kit from 1981 to 2001, plus or minus a lens or body, and had
mostly the same Leica kit for 13 years too. Why? because it did the
job I wanted. I tried other 35mm equipment in that same time period to
see what it might offer (Olympus and Contax) but always went back to
the Nikon/Leica gear. I also shot subminiature and a lot of medium
format ... not because of someone's advertising but because I like the
formats.

Digital capture was essentially new in 2002 for me. The cameras were
an unknown and I needed to experiment to find out what suited me
purposes, felt good in my use, and produced the goods.

BTW: The Pentax kit is for sale. I've only made 120 exposures with the
Pentax gear in the last 8 months. I'm happier and getting better
results working with the other gear I have acquired ... that's all
that matters to me. The equipment is transitory, I don't fall in love
with objects.

What you do is up to your own discretion. I don't disparage it, but I
also don't participate in your emotional attachments to equipment.

Godfrey