In my camera club monochrome means "one colour", a literal translation.
There is also the standard art convention that black and white are not
colours, they are shades or tones. This, unfortunately, led to the camera
club deciding that monochrome allows black and white and one colour. Instead
of just getting pure B&W or entirely toned images (and god how I hate sepia)
we occasionally get B&W with spot colour. Theoretically an image that was
entirely red or yellow would pass too, so I have thought about putting in a
close-up of a rose just to make a point.

Regards,
Paul