From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>> > No camera does this to my knowledge. Maybe some wackiness on the D3 or
>> > 1Ds III does. It's an idiotic requirement, frankly, speaking as one
>> > who did scientific data acquisition in years past.
>
> Ha! You should read the rest of the spec! It requires a "CCD resolution"
> of not less than  7 megapixels. CCD? I guess that means I can use a K10D
> but not a K20D... or a Canon 1Ds mkIII  ;-)
>
> It's full of nonsense like that - including the original date marking
> requirement: Don't these people know that the user can set the camera's
> date to anything they like?

I suspect if you really went through the specs item by item, there's a
single, probably now obsolete, camera or camera software that meets all
of the requirements EXACTLY. I've seen it before in other fields where a
government specification is written so narrowly that only one product
meets the requirements.

And some specific vendor who already has that equipment is expected to
win the contract bid.

They're not allowed to specify a single product by manufacturer's name
and model number, or a single vendor, so the spec's written to exclude
anything or anyone else.

Except that, in the end, if the wrong person ends up with the low bid
and wins the contract, there's always a way to work around it.

You could (un-offically) ask the agency who issued the specification
what hardware they recommend to meet it. They might even tell you.