2008/9/18 Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Well, the camera certainly is not holding you back. There are some
> nice images in there.

Thanks Bruce.

> From your indications, you are using a Sigma,
> Voigtlander and Nikkor lenses. I would be curious to know your
> thoughts so far of the camera and lenses.

The lenses. So far I have:

Nikkor AF-D 35mm f2
Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.4
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 Macro APO Lanthar

The Nikon 50 & 35mm are handy focal lengths & make for a relatively
compact lens/body combination. I've no experience with the FA 35mm f2,
so I can't compare, but the Nikkor is pretty soft @ f2 and distorts a
bit. but for what I use that lens for it's performance is acceptable.
Same with the 50, not as nice as the FA 50 f1.4, but usable. Stopped
down a bit, both lenses are fine.

I have for a long time steered away from Sigma due to previous bad
experiences. But I couldn't afford to start out buying both the new
body & the Nikon equivalent 24-70mm f2.8. This forced me to consider
the Sigma. I gave it a good workout in the store & was convinced that
i had a good copy. Sharp, nice contrast etc. So I got it & haven't
regretted that purchase. The only thing I wished was that it had the
flare resistance of my Pentax glass. I have to pay extra attention
when shooting near bright light sources.

The Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 Macro I also have in Pentax mount & was the
one lens I really wanted to have access to on the Nikon. As it's out
of production & highly sort after, when one came up on eBay & was
going for a reasonable price I pounced on it. I recommend to anyone,
if you can find a copy & it won't cost you your first born or both
kidneys, get it. It is beautifully sharp & the bokeh is delicious. I
love this lens.

The camera:

It's solid, well built, big & relativity heavy. However I have carried
it around all day without any ill effects :-)

It's nice to shoot looking through a decent VF again. On occasion I
have both the K20D & D700 with me when I'm out shooting & switching
from the D700 to the K20D, I really notice how small the K20D's VF
really is. The D700 UI is very nice. This is why I went with Nikon
over Canon. I just really like how Nikon's bodies handle & coming from
Pentax the re-learning curve isn't very steep.

AF is snappy & I haven't noticed the "Penatx 2 step" style of focusing
(ie quick & dirty, then a final adjustment). Either it doesn't do it,
or I'm not noticing it because the Nikon screw drive AF is lower
pitched & less obvious.

Metering is spot on in most situations. I'm finding it more accurate
than the K20D at any rate.

Live view implementation is much better than the K20D. So much so that
I actually use it (the macro of the Viola was focused using LV). You
can zoom in without the image quality falling apart almost instantly.
Also the virtual horizon in live view (and in the VF) is a neat
feature. When I shoot at night I can't always see the horizon so this
is a useful feature.

ISO & low noise performance live up to the hype & are my main reasons
for the purchase. With the K20D I always hesitated to shoot over ISO
800, I would if I had no other choice, but preferred not to. With the
D700 I don't even think twice about going up to ISO 3200. Also as
mentioned previously for long exposure night shots, none of my Pentax
DSLR's have been able to come close to the low noise performance.

Buying the D700 wasn't easy or frivolous decision. I didn't really
want to do it, but I'm starting to find a direction to my photography
and it's low light & long exposures. Unfortunately the current Pentax
technology just isn't up to satisfying my requirements. I'm also not
convinced that Samsung have enough experience in sensor design yet to
produce what I'm after. I hope I am proven wrong, and that Hoya Pentax
will do something special soon.

Cheers,

Dave