For my purposes, the K20D has proved a substantial upgrade from the
K10D, and the two cameras make a nice work pair. I'm pleased that I
bought in right away, since the next upgrade still appears to be well
in the future. Unless I start getting $200/hr. assignments, I can't
see investing in a $3000 camera. I think the Pentax line serves
advanced amateurs and part-time professionals very well. Yes, a
flagship would be a nice marketing tool, but in terms of real-world
use, it's not an immediate necessity.
Paul