Mark Roberts wrote:
Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

Sight and price unseen, they've got 10-15 firm pre-orders for the Leica S2 already. So ... anyone cogitating that this is "too expensive for pro photographers" and would not sell, think again. Evidently, a lot of commercial photographers have been waiting for exactly this kind of kit to become available.

Heck, it'll probably be a bit over $30k in the U.S.
If it's competitive with other MF digital systems (and I certainly expect it to be) they'll sell quite a few. Just think: In that market you can now get the Leica name *without* paying more than you would for one of the competing brands! :)
From where I'm standing, "Leica" looks like much less of a name in the MF market than in 35mm, comparatively speaking. Meaning that "Hasselblad" seems at least as big.

Also, like I said elsewhere, there seems to be a "budget" variant with a spec nearly on the same level (31Mp sensor, I think) giving you the latter name now. But I suppose this doesn't really count for the ones with too much money between their hands that we are talking about here...

But what do I know. I didn't really think a digital Leica M made any sense, either, yet a lot of people seem to be awfully exited about it.

- T