On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Anthony Farr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I think hell just froze over, but I have to agree with JCO here. Full
>> Frame is technically just full frame for the basic format (As the new
>> PhaseOne P65+ is 645 full frame) but in common usage it refers
>> specifically to 24x36mm sensors on a 35mm platform. Common usage has
>> already stuck as of several years ago and we'll all just need to deal
>> with it.
>>
>> --
>> M. Adam Maas
>>

> How this branch of the conversation began was that someone belittled Olympus
> over not ever being able to go "full frame" because they were "stuck" with a
> lens mount incapable of supporting it.  I pointed out that Olympus has a
> different platform that was intended to be the size it is, in which context
> it is indeed "full frame", albeit not 35mm "full frame".

In fact that was me, and I was using the common usage of the term,
which refers to 36x24mm sensors on a 35mm-based platform. Oly s stuck
with their small sensor.

> It's true that the 24mm x 36mm camp has monopolised the term lately for the
> simple reason that the 35mm form factor was the only one where "full frame"
> cameras mixed it with reduced format cameras.  Medium format hadn't reached
> that standard, while other formats never had an arbitrary measurement to
> reach to qualify as "full frame".
>
> Now I learn that Phase one has announced an upcoming product, and
> significantly they called it "the world's first FULL FRAME 645 medium format
> camera system".  Their words, my emphasis.

That's as much a marketing pissing match with Hasselblad as anything
else, after Hassy launched the H3D as a 'Full Frame' MF digital system
because they didn't need viewfinder masks to cut down to 36x48mm
format they used.

> So now another format has achieved the holy grail of "full frameness", and
> more are bound to follow.  What odds on a 6cm x 7cm digital sensor within 5
> years?  The Linhof Techno's ground glass screen for Leaf backs is already
> engraved with 71mm x 56mm format lines, so what trade secret do they know?
>
> I'm sorry to tell you all this, but other format users will soon be calling
> their cameras "full frame", and they won't mean 24mm x 36mm.
>
> A lot of photographers will just need to "deal with it".
>
> Regards, Anthony

FF is pretty much fixed in peoples minds as 36x24. It may change in
the future, but now its got one (not exactly correct) accepted meaning
and that is 24x36.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca