It's possible to get a lot of the big name software for nothing, or next to
nothing, quite legitimately. I got the entire Office 2003 suite for less than
US$20- under the Home Use Programme which my employer subscribed to. I would
never pay the full price for something like that, and Microsoft seem to
understand that, so they make the best of it with something like home use.

It's also fairly easy to get things for the student price by enrolling in a
course which gets you a proper student id. The Open University here offers a
number of courses quite cheaply for that.

If all that fails, then there is a lot of high-quality free software available,
such as OpenOffice which does a perfectly good job for most of the things that
MS Office does. Microsoft themselves give a lot of good stuff away.

Some products, though, have no cheap or free parallel unfortunately. Lightroom
is one of those, although I happen to think it's very fairly priced considering
its market. I'm still in the process of recovering my system after having to
reinstall the operating system, so I've just been forced to upgrade to Lightroom
2 earlier than I might have planned, but that's just one of my punishments for
stuffing my OS.

Things like accountancy packages are available for nothing very easily, or are
very easy to deal with on spreadsheets. When I had my own business I did
everything in Excel. It helps to keep things simple.

Bob