Quicken updates come for free if you buy TurboTax DeLuxe.
It's generally been worth updating - Intuit products can
be very touchy about working with software firewalls, NAT
routers, etc.  Until the most recent version we had to
disable our firewall and/or use direct dial-up access to
be able to talk to some parts of the Intuit site :-(