President Roosevelt federalized the National Guard in August 1940, and the draft was reinstated Sept 1 that year.

The U.S. Army conducted large scale maneuvers in the Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas in 1940 and 1941 to develop Armor and anti-armor tactics in response to the successful blitzkrieg tactics Germany used during the Battle of France.

From: "Bob Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mike,

I had some of the same feelings about timing.
Some of those pre-war shots had a number of guys in khaki uniforms.

On a side note, I did some searching thru Cushman's photos at his
Arboretum shots.
It will takes some work to find the exact locations and camera angles
he used, if possible.
I was out shooting this morning and digital can be more colorful than
his chromes.

Regards, Bob S.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:19 AM, mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> From: "Scott Loveless" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Date: 2008/10/27 Mon PM 12:31:52 GMT
>> To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
>> Subject: Re: chromes from the thirties and forties
>>
>> On 10/27/08, Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > On 26/10/08, PN Stenquist, discombobulated, unleashed:
>> >

>> >  >Some nice classic early Kodachromes here:
>> >  >http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/ALookBackInHistory.htm
>> >

>> > Fascinating, thanks for posting Paul.
>>
>> Agreed.  That article mentions Charles Cushman.  He shot A LOT of
>> Kodachrome.  http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/
>
> I was a bit unhappy about the designation of "pre-war" to a few of the
photos.  Knowing (sad git that I am) that the Boeing Stratoliner did not enter service until
late 1940, I managed to find the Cushman photo that is in the presentation.

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do?query=year%3A1941+AND+subject%3A%22Airplanes%22&page=1&pagesize=20&display=thumbcap&action=browse&pnum=P02541