From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sessoms" Subject: RE: Portrait software
> From: "Jens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> PS: Many photographing companies offer such packages for schools etc.
>>  The price is often apr. 50 USD for on package wieh a number of
>> portraits and one group portrait.
>>
>> If marketed right this can be a brilliant source of income. If I
>> could fill my order book, I could make one months wages in just one
>> week. One school class is enough for one week salery.

> Unfortunately, around where I live (Southeastern US - North Carolina) > there's one company that already has a lock on the business; already has > contracts with most of the school systems.

> They don't hire photographers.

> Still, I'd take $11.00 an hour if they'd hire me for one of the nearby > J.C. Penny or Target studios, but I ain't going out on the road for that.
>
> Moot anyway - they don't hire photographers.

Tell them you use Pentax. They'll hire you then.....
Seriously, these places aren't in the business of churning out high art, they really are there for the people who are in the market for what they are selling. In order for them to be able to do what they do, every studio needs to be as close to the same as possible with regards to lighing intensity and ratio. This is the photographic equivalent of flipping burgers at McDonald's, and the reasons for them doing what they do are exactly the same as the reasons for why McD does it the way they do.
It's all about consistency of product.

William Robb

I understand their business model, and with my experience, there's no problem doing it their way ... there's no need for them to explain it, just tell me how far you want the light & what power setting you want me to use.

It's not rocket surgery - put this light over here 10' away at full power using this soft box, that light at 12' 2/3 power, put the stool 8 feet in front of the backdrop, use this camera, that f/stop, at whatever shutter speed.

Boom, boom, boom ... all done; "How about some additional 5x7 prints? They'd make a lovely gift for the grandparents."

Upselling. I understand it. I can follow the script. BTDT - GTTS.

They provide the equipment; they only have to tell me once how they want me to shoot it. I understand what they want me to do, and I can do it faster and churn out higher production than that untrained kid.

No problem.

And, I'm willing to work for what they claim to be paying (at least in the portrait studio). And, I'm more likely to show up for work every day.

BUT ... they *DO NOT* hire photographers. Experience is a disqualification.

Don't know why, but that's how it is.