Hi Kent,

> Coming from a freedom loving gun happy culture like America I was
wondering
> how the average Aussie perceives the latest police regs I saw posted from
> Australia.

>From what i have seen the average Australian doesnt have a problem with it
and they find it quite scarey that in the  US the gun lobby has such power
and that Americans are so 'gun loving'. The new law from memory only stopped
ownership of semi-automatic rifles (no automatic also).

I dont think that Australia was ever as gun orientated as the US and with
current laws if you want a gun to go hunting, use one on your farm or in a
gun club (the sort that shoots targets i assume) then you can get one.

You just can't buy machine guns and the sort of stuff you could outfit an
army with. I think handguns are illegal in all states (TAS?), except for
target shooting stuff. It would be a lengthy process to obtain one for this
purpose i assume.

>. I realize a lot
> of it is based on English law (guilty until proven innocent) and not
> American law (innocent until proven guilty).

This is incorrect.

> Over here bumper stickers are a big form of political/social comment. In
> this realm a common one goes:
> "A man with a gun is a citizen"
> "A man without a gun is a subject"

We have bumper stickers here, though probaly not to the same extent as the
US. I see the odd person, with a sticker "I Vote, I Shoot", these are
usually on trucks and utes and look like the sort of person who probaly
shouldn't own a gun :)

I think Charlton Heston has lost a few browny points here.

Regards,
Paul