So that means many fine semi-auto competition/hunting shotguns are out also.
Part of the problem is cultural history. Our ancestors resentment of the
authority of the Crown finally made us make a successful effort to split
from it. In England the Army was the mechanism that kept the peasants and
serfs in line and maintained order. Owning of a sword by a person not part
of the establishment was a  capitol offense (after the Norman conquest at
least). So the cultural bias was towards depending on the local authority
for protection.
In America it was a bitter fight just to get any kind of a standing army
after independence. We were all sort of Libertarians in those days. Each
person was expected to aid in the common good but each one also assumed
personal protection for himself and his own. This was more like the Saxon
fyrd concept than the Norman-English standing army concept.
The concept was also framed in the Constitution on the off chance that some
form of government came to power that the general citizenry might take
serious offense to in the abrogation of their written and perceived
liberties.
Of course in those days the highest form of military weapon short of
artillery was the musket which often had to be used to both defend yourself
and put food on the table. Now there is hardly a case for owning a full auto
military grade M-16 under those concepts but the law does permit law biding
citizen to own one (at great expense). As a law biding member of society I
could apply for and buy an M-60 machinegun and several thousand rounds of
ammunition as both a collector and a shooter (they have special machinegun
shooting days at some military bases a couple of times a year). The gun
itself would cost around $5000 or more. Add in the $1500 for a top of the
line gun safe to allow it to be stored in your house and you'd be out $10K
in short order if you wanted to shoot it also.
I personally don't own any Class 3 weapons (destructive devices that include
full auto weapons and other military items that can shoot explosive rounds),
but I do have numerous semi-auto handguns and shotguns in addition to
revolvers and hunting rifles. I only caught up to my wife recently and she
still has more handguns than I do (she collects special model Brownings).
So the cost of something like that would be more than a Canon EOS-1D system,
which to be honest I'd rather have than even a Browning M1A2 50 cal.
machinegun.
Except in the event of the breakdown of civilization as we know it. Then I'd
be wishing for the 50 cal. BMG instead.
Kent Gittings