-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of John Coyle
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 2:03 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: OT: Re: Australians

I've stayed out of this one so far, but as a naturalised Australian born in
England I now gotta jump in!
Kent, the presumption of innocence also applies in both England and
Australia -
the rule is that, in a jury trial, the jury must be satisfied 'beyond
reasonable doubt' of the guilt of the accused.  It is only recently that
some
offences can be tried with a majority verdict rule applying, also.
 Incidentally, since the Americas were settled largely by the English and
French, you may find that the basis of your US law was that of English 18th
century law, modified after independence.
After the various massacres that have occurred (Dunblane, Port Arthur,
Columbine) it amazes me to think that anyone anywhere still believes it's Ok
for ordinary citizens to ordinarily possess weapons not necessary to their
trade (eg farmers with anti-vermin weapons, not M16's, AK47's or even
M60's!).
I am not sure, either, that I don't prefer our police and security forces
having the right to fully investigate suspected terrorists without the
constraints of their so-called 'civil rights' having to be taken into
account.
 And we don't have legislation to allow a military court to summarily try
and
execute suspects either!

I promise this will be my only contribution to this OT thread!

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia

On Wednesday, December 12, 2001 12:36 AM, Kent Gittings [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
wrote:
> Coming from a freedom loving gun happy culture like America I was
wondering
> how the average Aussie perceives the latest police regs I saw posted from
> Australia. Seems to me here at least we would be up in arms if our
> government was given the police powers that yours are given. I realize a
lot
> of it is based on English law (guilty until proven innocent) and not
> American law (innocent until proven guilty).
> Over here bumper stickers are a big form of political/social comment. In
> this realm a common one goes:
> "A man with a gun is a citizen"
> "A man without a gun is a subject"
> Kent Gittings