Machines are not alive and do not think. Calling them "stupid" does not help anything.

Certainly look to see whether a large cache file was created during the course of copying ... delete it if you find one. If you copied by dragging and dropping the files using the Finder, the Finder has to figure out what the files are and caches the information so it can call OS services to do the copying.

You didn't give much information ...

Copying files from one HD to another: how were the two HDs connected? USB 2, FireWire? Copying by means of drag and drop? How much space was available on the destination drive? How many file and of what size were you trying to copy? How did you "force close" the system?

Aborting file copy operations is always tricky. Permissions repair isn't a sufficient file system check. Boot the system, insert the OS distribution DVD into the CD/DVD drive, and restart the system from the OS distribution DVD. Then run Disk Utility from the "Utilities" menu and do a file system verify on the startup volume. If it finds any errors ... it might ! .. run a repair. That might reclaim disk space lost through temporary cache space allocations, but it will certainly tell you whether there are any file system structure problems.

Godfrey