On Nov 13, 2008, at 4:18 PM, David J Brooks wrote:

Are you running it (Disk Utility) from the OS install boot disk?

No, but i found my install disk, actually there are two disks in the box.

The startup drive cannot be repaired. You must start up from the Mac OS X distribution CD or DVD, the one that came with your computer or a general purpose, retail box deliverable.

Do i just put the first CD in the CD reader and boot the computer.??
I'm worried it will start to install something here.

To boot from the distribution CD/DVD:

- insert it into the CD/DVD drive (in most cases, the system must be up and running).

- either double-click the installer starting point or restart and hold down the C key ... keep holding it until you hear the optical drive rev up and the system starts to read the startup sequence from it.

When it comes up, you step into the first screen of the system installation procedure. Stop there, go to the menubar and pick Disk Utility off the Utilities menu. Then you can do a verify and repair of the internal hard drive.

Once done, use the Quit command and you'll be back in the installer. Use the Quit command again and it will bring up the Startup Disk control panel and let you set the internal hard drive to be the startup drive. Restart and you're done.

Godfrey