Nearly anything that's a cache file either in the System caches
  /Library/Caches
or in the user account caches
 ~/Library/Caches
is safe to delete as they are created automatically by applications at run time.

The most likely location for temp files that are erroneously not disposed of is in
  ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems

If there's anything in there, I would just delete it and then run the Disk Utility file system verify as I wrote in a previous note. Be sure no other applications are running when you delete the contents of TemporaryItems, of course.