On Nov 20, 2008, at 12:36 PM, John Francis wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:17:09AM -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
I got the following email out of the blue:

We are very interested in using the attached picture in the Woman's Day
Special Interest Publication Gardening Deck and Design.

Please send me a high res and low res as well as any billing and credit
information you require!

[It's a picture of a flower from my blog.]  I'm happy, of course,
but... HELP!!!  What do I do?  How much do I ask for?  What do "high
res" and "low res" mean to these people?

Why not ask them?

Specifically, ask them for more information:

technical
- what size, in pixels, do they need?
- what colorspace the output files should be delivered in?
- TIFF (8bit) or JPEG format?

money
Most magazines pay for photos based on the size of the photo used on the page, whether it's a cover or not, and based on their circulation numbers. Other things which can influence pricing depend on geographic market region and languages they publish in. Finding all this information is easy ... just ask.

When someone I have not done business with before makes such an inquiry, I ask them what pricing schedule they usually use. If they don't have a standard, I use FotoQuote PRO's rates as a starting point. Many times the magazine cannot state before they lay out an article what size the finish is going to be, and therefore what price fits their schedule. But, for instance, on a recent magazine article that bought seven of my photos, sizes ran from 1/16 page to 2/1 page spread, with pricing from EURO 130 to EURO 720. (Of course, the majority of the images were 1/16 and 1/8 size in print.)

Godfrey