I have always understood this to be true-- that is, they can scan the film if
there is any concern on their part.   A couple of times I was told this as they
took my film and ran it through the machine.   Once I was told the film was not
going with me unless scanned, it was my choice.   Since the 11th, I've not
tempted fate --- the environment is just to touchy.  I take a digital camera
with me.  Where for some reason, I need film, I arrange for equipment to
supplied locally.  The end result is that I now carry less gear on trips, which
isn't all bad.

Otis