Jerome Daryl Coombs-Reyes wrote:
 I'm also beginning to
> consider getting something like a diffuser / omni bounce kinda deal for a
> few bucks to soften the whole flash effect (Leonard's suggestion).  With
> that said, I'd of course have to start reading up to see how such devices
> (can you really call a piece of plastic a "device"?) alter things like my
> cameras metering ability (I suspect there would be less light hitting the
> subject than my camera anticipated hence possible underexposure) and how
> to best account for this, etc.

Hi Jerome,
If you're shooting in TTL mode, the flash will provide enough light for
the f-stop even when covered with a diffuser.  However, it's range will
be reduced. For example, if your flash is sufficiently powerful to give
you f16 without a diffuser, it might only give you f8 with a diffuser in
front of it. Or for that matter, behind it. (One of the best diffusers
is a small reflector umbrella.)
Paul