My K1000 actually tends to overexpose a bit. I'm
still learning to compensate for it. Aside from
that, it performs fine. Perhaps your K1000 photos
were more color-rich because you had a
higher-saturation film in it than in the KX?

Use mirror lockup when you're shooting at low
speeds and vibrations in the camera caused by
mirror slap would cause the image to look soft.

Hope this helps,
Amita