> but of course, I would not have wanted to have to do that sort of thing,
> anyway... what a PITA!

You only have to do it once.

You have to remember, P&S cameras are not made to appeal to advanced
photographers like us.  They're made for lowest-common-denominator
users, and as such have to be as simple and user friendly as possible.
Pentax and other companies have to assume that someone taking snapshots
is going to want the camera to perform exactly the same way every time
they use it, so they make the camera reset itself unless someone like
you tells it not to.

It may not make a lot of sense to you, but I'm sure there are a lot of
people who appreciate it.

John

--
http://www.neovenator.com