John Celio wrote:

but of course, I would not have wanted to have to do that sort of thing, anyway... what a PITA!

You only have to do it once.

not actually true...  but never mind right now....

You have to remember, P&S cameras are not made to appeal to advanced
photographers like us.  They're made for lowest-common-denominator
users, and as such have to be as simple and user friendly as possible.

Alas, they are not in any way "simple and user friendly"

A true point and shoot is a throw away camera that has a fixed focal length and speed and DOF.... The w60,for instance, comes with a book that has over 100 pages! They want you to read the whole book first! You and I don't really have to, but someone who just wants to take some snaps is never going
to do that.

I have several friends who thought they would like digital for the obvious reasons -- no film charges, ease of getting prints, fits in your pocket, SIMPLE TO USE.... the Z10 and The W60 both have tons of confusing choices aimed at us, actually - they want to put it all in one.
Pentax and other companies have to assume that someone taking snapshots
is going to want the camera to perform exactly the same way every time
they use it, so they make the camera reset itself unless someone like
you tells it not to.

It may not make a lot of sense to you, but I'm sure there are a lot of
people who appreciate it.

John

No one over 30, does, I guarantee..... these cameras are designed for people who grew up with computers and like cutsey pie little icons... they may know nothing about lighting, timing, composing, but they do seem to
like to have lots of little buttons to push...

Pentax tried to make a camera especially to appeal to EVERYONE... and that is what is screwed up.

The whole world of technology today is a disaster in terms of user friendliness - ironic at a time when
there are more and more baby boomers or old folk....

THe z10 and w60 DOESN'T do it all for you -- the choices are part of there selling schtick - The very worst element , which is one that has nothing to do with photography at all is simply that the on-off switch is VERY close to the shutter release... and the buttons feel very much alike... shooting quickly I hit the wrong one a number of times... that has nothing to do with my skills as a photographer.

This tendancy toward overly complicated devices that are supposedly "better" is one of the most irritating things about consumer items these days.... no one I know, regardless of age, consider the Tv Controls of today are better , for instance ... you shouldn't have to have a manual to learn how to use a TV.. what happened to off on, volume , change channels? It'sthe same kind of thing... hurry and make it fancier and if it hoovers
we will fix it later...

sigh - sorry for the digression -- but it is part of the same fabric of our hyper-techno world... and it's a damn shame.

ann

--
http://www.neovenator.com
http://www.cafepress.com/calemp