On Jan 14, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Bob W wrote:

That's sad. I watched episode after episode of "The Prisoner"
and some
reruns, but I must declare I was frequently unable to
understand just
what was going on. Other than the simple "He wanted out of there."

I used to watch it on a Friday evening when we lived in Gibraltar. My older sibs were away at school, my parents went out for the evening and left me to babysit my younger brother, so I must have been 10 and it must have been 1967-8, and I was an avid fan of The Prisoner. I didn't have a clue what was going on, but I loved the surrealism and weirdness and imagination of it all. It was many, many years before I met anyone else who'd even heard of
it, let alone seen it.

Godspeed, Patrick McGoohan!

"The Prisoner" series ran as a summer special through the summer of 1968 on public broadcasting in New York, IIRC. The year I started high school... I watched every episode. My best friend at the time was so enamored of the series that he managed to convince his parents to spend their summer holiday at Port Meriam in Wales the following summer. It was a fascinating series, an amazing follow-on to McGoohan's role in "Danger Man" ("Secret Agent Man" to us colonials).

I have both series, in their entirety, on DVD. I'll have to pull out The Prisoner and watch it again. The DVD set has some very interesting production notes.

Godfrey