On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:49:08AM -0800, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:02 AM, Jens wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I want the film-days back.... Those where the days, ehh?
>
> Nope, not for me.
>
> Godfrey

Nor me.

The first problem was finding somewhere that would develop your film
without scratching it.  And when they did scratch it they would insist
that it must have been your camera, not their processing (although it
was a bit hard to explain how, in that case, the camera had managed
to scratch a partially-exposed roll of film while it was still rolled
up in the film cassete).

As for printing - good luck on finding somewhere that got the colours
anywhere close to right.  Film scanning was hard to find, initially,
and either terrible quality or seriously expensive.  I did my own,
but that was time-consuming.  And, of course, there was all the work
of getting rid of the inevitable dust spots.  While the good scanners
came close to getting the colours right on negative film, there was
always some adjustment necessary, even if you were within the gamut
of both the film and the scanner (which were not necessarily close).
But at least if you scanned it yourself you could send a profiled
image file to the pro labs, and get back a pretty good print.

Eventually I switched to pretty much only shooting Provia 100F where
possible; it scanned well, and had a pretty realistic colour palette.
But finding reliable E6 processing got harder and harder; the big pro
labs closed down, and even a little lab I found closed when the owner
moved to Carmel to live with his amorata.

Film only saves time if you stay out of the digital realm entirely,
and are prepared to pay somebody handsomely to realise your images.
The minute you decide you want the control of your images that you
get with a digital darkroom you're going to spend just as much time
with an image editor, even before you add in the time for scanning
and dust removal.