On Feb 3, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

Ken Waller wrote:
How about the best color space? stuff like that....
You only have two choices either RGB or LAB. Don't know why you'd open in Lab.

Nitpick here: RGB and LAB aren't color spaces, they are color modes. A color space is something like sRGB or ProPhoto RGB.

If I recall correctly, the International Color Consortium wasn't founded until 1993 and I think the PhotoCD format predates that. If so, then Kodak PhotoCD files can't be color space aware in any sense that's useful today.

As long as you're using color space aware software like Photoshop, I'd just open the files at maximum size, assign whatever color profile you use as your standard working color space and adjust the images until they look good on your (properly calibrated and profiled) monitor. Save and you'll be good to go.

PhotoCD basic info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhotoCD    Launched in 1992

International Color Consortium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Color_Consortium Formed in 1993

therefore ... PhotoCD files are not colorspace aware in the modern sense of the term.

If you want to work in 8bit, assign Adobe RGB profile. If you work in 16bit, assign ProPhoto RGB.

Godfrey