Hi Jens,

Re: GPS data

I think a third party device and subsequent synchronisation through
software is the only way to go.  If you shoot raw files I guess you
want a unit that can compare your GPS data to the timestamp in the raw
file and then write an XMP file with the correct metadata beside the
raw file. Ideally, this software should run automatically when you
upload to the computer. In that way it would at least not steal any
time, even if you don't save any. I do not know if such a
device/software exists, and I do not know the Sony unit in detail. :-(
Hope you are able to find something for your needs.

Re: FotoStation
I honestly think FotoStation is a mastodont. It is a huge system that
aims to compete in the arena of newspaper image desks, stock agencies
etc. For example, it contains functions for accounting and following
up of payments, streamlined functions to keep track of sales volumes
etc. etc.

If you look at what it actually does that a personal photographer with
a production of, say, less than 10.000 images per year, there are many
programs that will do the job as good or better for considerably less
money.

I have used ThumbsPlus v7 since I got the *istD, but with the major
upgrade (v8) in the pipelines
I have been researching the market to see if other products provide
more bang for the bucks. Right now I'm having a serious look at
IDimager, which has some very neat functions for versioning of files
that I haven't found anywhere else. However I am not yet acquainted
with Lightroom, and I suspect there are similar functionality in there
(Thanks for the tip, Tim Ø.).

ThumbsPlus is on par with FotoStation for searchability and organising
features. I thought ACDsee PRO was decent too, but I haven't really
looked at it. However I have looked at Photoshop Elements 6, and
thought that was quite decent for its price. In the Mac-world there is
of course Aperture, and there are a couple of dual-platform products
too beside Adobe's. One is Expression Media from Microsoft (formerly
iView), another is PhotoMechanic. I would say both of them are on par
with FotoStation. Note, however, that the Microsoft offering depends
on plug-ins from camera vendors to view raw files in Windows
environments. Pentax's plugin for PEFs is only for 32-bit versions of
Windows.

There are also some new products that are actually upload managers for
microstock. They are of course specifically designed to keep track of
what you have uploaded where, but do have some run-of-the-mill
organising functions for the single photographers as well. Keywording
is alpha and omega with microstock, so I expect good functionality
there. I'm not sure about raw file support, though. I haven't looked
at them in detail yet, but a google search for "microstock image
organiser" or something like that should take you there.

Here are the links I have archived:
ThumbsPlus: http://www.cerious.com
IDimager: http://www.idimager.com/
PhotoMechanic: http://www.camerabits.com/site/index.html
Expression Media:
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/overview.aspx?key=media
Aperture: http://www.apple.com/dk/aperture/
(Danish language version, specially for you Jens<g>)
LightRoom: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Good luck in your search, Jens. May the best archive system put us in
its fold... :-)

Cheers,
Jostein

--