Mark Roberts wrote:
William Robb wrote:

Shoot the editorial crap (and I use this term literally) handheld, since you have no choice. Try to at least use a handle mount flash, preferably one that can still be adjusted to put the flash head over the lens both vertically and horizontally.

If you are shooting actual formals, the pace is slower (not by much), but the work is more detail oriented.
You want the camera on a tripod.

Don't discount the psychological benefits, either. It usually makes a more favorable impression on your *subjects* (including the people paying you) when you use a tripod for this stuff. I noticed on the few wedding gigs that I did that everyone settled down a bit and became more cooperative when the photographer set up on a tripod (which he did just for the formal shots). The tripod seems to say "OK, we're all here to have fun but let's be serious for these few minutes".

I'll add that the pro I worked with (a high-end guy who got $5000 and up for a wedding) did mostly the "photojournalist" style shoot. He shot most of the ceremony hand-held, but always had a camera with an 80-200/2.8 on a tripod for a few ceremony shots - you simply can't hand-hold that rig in most churches without using flash, which he didn't like using (and isn't permitted in many ceremonies). Fortunately, there isn't usually enough fast action in weddings for subject motion to be an issue at slow shutter speeds :)