On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2009, at 2:28 PM, William Robb wrote:
>

>> Consider yourself told.
>>
> Not a chance. It's just more bombast from Billy Boy.

Well, here's my two cents worth.  In fact, it may be worth less than
two cents, because I've only done one wedding in my life, that being
last September.

I used a tripod for the "posed" family shots.  In fact, it was a
tripod that I borrowed from Dave Brooks.  In fact I still have that
tripod at my place (hope you're not in dire need of it, Dave).

It's a great huge heavy Manfrotto, one of those ones with the double
legs.  Weighs like 20 pounds (I think Dave used it with his 67).

I'm so glad I had it.  Stuck the camera on it, aimed and framed, then
I could take my face away from the camera and chat with the various
groups whose pix I took (his family, her family, "special friends",
everyone together) to make them feel at ease while I snapped when they
weren't expecting it.  Wish I had a remote release so I didn't have to
stay close to the camera, but it still worked very well.  While the
people were all grouped in a more-or-less formal way, their faces
looked relaxed and it looked like they were having fun, plus it was
sharp as hell - which is what the bride and groom wanted.

That was an hour before the wedding.  The tripod was put away and I
shot the rest of the wedding and reception handheld.  It was tilted
and blurry and typical of my work.  ;-)

cheers,
frank