In a message dated 2/13/2009 6:10:20 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
cagu...@earthlink.net writes:
Hi  Everyone:

1)  The point of this exercise was to shoot closer &  engage with people
more, which really doesn't come naturally to me.   For the bit of street
stuff I've done, I have used the DA* 50 - 135mm, which  obviously allows for
greater distance between the camera & subject--as  you know--sorry about
stating the obvious here :-).  I found shoot  close really hard at first--and
I was so nervous, but folks who were out and  about today were cheerful &
very willing.  This  helped.

2)  There's a bit of irony to this shoot:  I had to  kill 2 hours on the
street because I had to wait for new prescription lenses  to be mounted on my
eye glass frames, which left me with no glasses!   It was really
disconcerting to shoot without glasses.  Thank the gods  for autofocus :-).
My distance vision is not what it used to be, but it's  not that bad, but if
I had had to manual focus, there's no way I would have  hit the  focus.

http://faculty.ccc.edu/caguila/Shooting%20Closer%20Street%20Portraits/index.ht
ml

Comments/critique  welcome.
Cheers, Christine

================
Not bad at all,  Christine. The last I'd toss. I like 2 and 3 (the angle and
ceiling on 3 really  makes it). I like 2 because she is not looking at you.
And of course, 5,  especially because his nose is running.

When I shoot people on the  "street," not often, though I will be doing more,
I try to have them not notice  me. There are two main schools of thought: not
noticing, and engaging and  talking to. Shel, not on list anymore, was big on
engaging. So one suggestion I  have, having watched him work and having seen
a lot of his shots, is try a bit  more for context next time -- environmental
portraits. Tell a story. Engage in  conversation if that is your approach, but
continue shooting more than one frame  as you talk and try for a bit more
context. The longer you talk and shoot and  act more interested in the
conversation than the shots, the more relaxed and  natural your subject
becomes.

That .02 advice is based strictly on my  viewing of others and their photos,
not on my taking them.

HTH, Marnie  :-)

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.

Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000004)