On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Christine  Aguila
<cagu...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> 1)  The point of this exercise was to shoot closer & engage with people
> more, which really doesn't come naturally to me.  For the bit of street
> stuff I've done, I have used the DA* 50 - 135mm, which obviously allows for
> greater distance between the camera & subject--as you know--sorry about
> stating the obvious here :-).  I found shoot close really hard at first--and
> I was so nervous, but folks who were out and about today were cheerful &
> very willing.  This helped.
>
> 2)  There's a bit of irony to this shoot:  I had to kill 2 hours on the
> street because I had to wait for new prescription lenses to be mounted on my
> eye glass frames, which left me with no glasses!  It was really
> disconcerting to shoot without glasses.  Thank the gods for autofocus :-).
> My distance vision is not what it used to be, but it's not that bad, but if
> I had had to manual focus, there's no way I would have hit the focus.
>
> http://faculty.ccc.edu/caguila/Shooting%20Closer%20Street%20Portraits/index.html
>
> Comments/critique welcome.

Brilliant stuff!

I especially enjoyed the lady with the cigarette in the cigarette
holder and the guy with the trojan horse.

I like to do both candids and posed stuff (as the situation requires)
on the street.  In fact I used to a lot more stealthy stuff and lately
I've been working on my street portraits.  I really like yours!

cheers,
frank