Well, I have to go with Paul on this one.  I have been shooting
weddings regularly for several years.  The tripod issue is partly to
do with weight of the rig you are shooting with.  When I was shooting
the 67, I did the formals on a tripod.  I did find a lack of
spontaneity and as Paul has indicated, very little variety in
background.  Once I started shooting digital, I have found that, for
the reasons Paul stated, my tripod only gets light use.  Mostly for
cake shots and available light shots of the decorations and such.  I
use a stroboframe all the time which keeps the flash above and
centered over the camera.

I will say that the tripod is best used when the group is larger and
staying in one single location.  I do use it for very large groups as
it works out much better for that.

So to recap, when speed of changing poses/backgrounds is needed, the
tripod gets in the way.  When the group is large and fairly static in
location, the tripod works well.

--
Best regards,
Bruce