Hi, Tom,

You are, of course, correct.  If I have more than one camera, then I guess I'm a
collector.  That is an entirely valid use of the term.

When I think or say collector, I think of that type of person who purchases
something for a purpose which (at least partially) is other than that for which
the device is designed for.  Something intended to be put in a closet or garage,
usually so it can appreciate in value - or at least not depreciate through
ordinary usage.

Of course, the extreme is someone who buys, let's say, a "collector's edition"
Leica (or whatever - I just mention Leica because they make so damned many
"collector's editions"), never takes it out of the box, lest it's value be
compromised by allowing it to see air or sunlight!  This, imho, is an
abomination, and he will never get into Photography Heaven that way.

So yeah, I guess that I collect 50's to 70's usable Japanese cameras that were
made in the millions, and are still available very inexpensively.  I also try
for cameras that will take a pretty good photo (given an opportunity by a good
photographer).

Of course, I just got a Voigtlander Vito for $2 the other day on eBay (no, I
didn't forget any zeros - $2), so now I think I'll have to drop the "Japanese"
from my collection description.

I guess there are collectors, and there are COLLECTORS.   :-)

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert