On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Solo dancer seen in a bar on Sunday from the dancefloor as I was shooting
> the house band.  Illuminated from behind by east-facing windows covered with
> fabric blinds, and what little light bounces from the stage, right.
>
> Normally I try very hard for sharpness, but I'm pushing my personal
> boundaries and trying to catch dynamic shots, keeping HCB in mind. :-)
>
> http://flickriver.com/photos/9403...@n02/3324651046/
>
> K100D Super, DA* 50-135 @ 135mm, f/3.2, 1/30, iso800

So I'm looking at this trying to figure out what to say.

There are elements I like about this, but it just doesn't come
together for me.  Maybe it's because I can't really tell that she's
dancing - I need to see more of her body.  As is I see a person who is
in an emotional situation (can't tell what the emotion is:  pain,
ecstasy, lost her contact lenses?) gesturing to a guitar in the
background.

>From what I see she could hate the music/sound/noise and is asking the
guitarist to stop making that racket.

;-)

Or, she might love the music and is really getting into it - I just
don't get the sense that she's dancing from the photo.

It might almost work better for me if there were no guitar, just her
and her face - then the focus would be her emotional state, whatever
that might be.

As is it just doesn't quite come together.  This is an "almost but it
just isn't there" type of photo for me.

cheers,
frank