Larry Colen wrote:
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:45:16AM -0500, Bruce Walker wrote:
# Solo dancer seen in a bar on Sunday from the dancefloor as I was # shooting the house band. Illuminated from behind by east-facing windows # covered with fabric blinds, and what little light bounces from the # stage, right.

Without the above, I wouldn't know what was going on, even so I like
it. I think that the guitar helps add context, without it she might
just be a crazy homeless person on the street.

That may be the case anyway; there's been speculation. :-)

# # Normally I try very hard for sharpness, but I'm pushing my personal # boundaries and trying to catch dynamic shots, keeping HCB in mind. :-)

I spend a lot of time shooting dancers. I have a lot of shots that I
wish were that sharp.

I was grappling with a few new ideas at once there too. I was trying to use the SDM lens on AF-Continuous, but I'm used to setting the AF point dead center. Trouble is of course, there is *no* subject dead center. And then she's dancing toward and away from me, so the focus -- though fast -- was struggling to keep up. At that point I think I had decided to switch back to MF and just try and do a sort of manual focus-capture, and take bursts of shots. I was almost sweating after 10 minutes of that! It's all great fun though. I'm re-reading the manual today to brush up on AF capabilities.

The funny thing is that as photographers, we can look at a picture and
see all of the technical flaws, everything that is wrong with it. Then
my friends will look at a picture of them dancing and they'll see
everythign right with it. It may not be a sharp picture, but it may be
the sharpest picture they have of them dancing.
It's important to look at the technical aspects of a photograph in
terms of context. And, in that context, it's plenty sharp, and the
blur, if anything adds to the environmental context of it.

Quite so; point taken.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Larry!

-bmw