On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:42 , Bruce Walker wrote:

Mark Roberts wrote:
Joseph McAllister wrote:

Sure, if you were into bootstrapping a PDP-11 with the toggles...

Sorry, but "bootstrapping a PDP-11 with toggles" sounds like something too unsavory for a family list like this one.

*FAMILY* list? Holy crap! Then I'm glad I haven't stumbled onto the Adult PDML list.

-bmw

Cripes! You guys sure missed out on the "sexual revolution" didn't you?

P.S. We only had to do this every once in a while when the mainframes crashed. We used the PDP-11 to set up the environment that booted the IBM-360s (6 of them) to run. Later on in the early 80s we switched to IBM 3090s which could boot themselves from 9" tape.

And Larry.... I knew how to do the procedure, but never actually programmed a line to make it happen. I was capable of making running changes to the code that the mainframes were running. But that was just a matter of finding an address and rem'ing out a line or three and carefully typing in the replacement code from the greenbar the programmers gave us every night.

I just did that for fun, actually. I worked in the darkroom processing 1250' rolls of 9" (later 5") film in custom built Kodak (no model numbers) high speed (100 ft per min)(1974 remember) high viscosity (snot at 95-105 degree) chemicals. The machines were 60 feet long, 14 feet tall. Loud (mostly the dryer cabinet and hundreds of rollers). An extremely competant operator (me) could start, run, splice on the trailer, remove the processed film and shut it down alone. Barely.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug a camera.”
–Lewis Hine