On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:30:13AM -0800, Joseph McAllister wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 08:53 , Larry Colen wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 07:19:22AM -0600, Bob Sullivan wrote:
> >>Larry,
> >>35 years or so of the internet?
> >
> >OK, technically back then it was the arpanet.
> >
> >>In 1974 it was TTY terminals and time sharing.
> >
> >And your point?
> >
> >>Personal computers were a hobbiest thing.
> >
> >People had computers at work and school.
>
> Sure, if you were into bootstrapping a PDP-11 with the toggles so it
> knew it had a TTY keyboard into which you keyed the start command so

Unfortunately my PDP-11 didn't have the toggles on the front. Besides,
at the time my email was UUCP dialup to UCSC on my 286 running
Xenix. About all I ever did on the PDP-11 was play adventure. I
learned assembler on 11s though back in college. They had one of the
nicest instruction sets I've used, though MIPS is pretty nice.

> it would read the paper tape that loaded the program that put into RAM
> the instructions for running the 80 col. card reader that loaded the
> instructions for using the cassette tape drive that loaded the
> software that told the computer it had a 9" reel to reel tape drive
> which loaded the software program that allowed you to use the serial
> port and a 9" green screen monitor to view the the 300 baud ASCII
> modem data as you accessed the ArpaNET on which you could communicate
> using the TTY keyboard, as well as command the IBM 360 mainframe to
> run real programs to accomplish real work using the info stored on
> "Data-Pac" 4 disc hard drives that plugged into the drive motors in
> the refrigerator size enclosure with underfloor air for cooling.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

--
Photographs are like sentences, the best ones have both subjects and verbs.
Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc