----- Original Message ----- From: "John Celio"
Subject: Buying the best batteries

Anyone available to answer an alliteratively quaint and quick question?

Well, I was wondering what's the best battery to buy for frequent-flash photography. The bullshit batteries I bought for last weekend's white wedding were obviously obsolete for that oddysey of outbusts.

Alkalines are available all around, yet vary in their veracity and voltage volume. Lithiums last a lot longer, but buying them by the bag begets broke-ness. Rechargeables require regular monotonous mainenance and more money at the moment of purchase, but procurement provides a pre-existing power population in your pocket that pooh-poohs spurious substitution by shoddy successors.

Recycle rates, really, are the reason I ask about all this. My Pentax AF540FGZ needs a new and nubile change in the charge-chamber. Previous performance pooped out posthaste, posing a problem.

Suggestions?

External battery packs used to be the way we improved performance. A box with a bunch of D cells has a lot more oomph than a set of penlight batteries. I'm a fan of old Metz 60 series flash units. They aren't fancy, and they don't support modern TTL flash control, but they are accurate, fast and have lots of power.
I know the CT-2 supports DryFit batteries, I'm not sure if the CT-1 does.
They are available on eBay fairly reasonably.
From my experience, the dryfit batteries will, if given reasonable care,
last around 20 years.

William Robb