Besides stepping up the voltage, most of these battery pack systems have circuitry that will store a charge in a capacitive manor with plenty of extra room, so the batteries pre-charge the storage circuit, which fills your flash unit's capacitor very quickly, and still has reserve for the next shot (as does your flash's capacitor if you've only used a portion of it). Saves the time for the batteries in the pack to charge your flash's capacitor directly.