On Mar 19, 2009, at 7:00 AM, frank theriault wrote:

I prefer just going to the damned shelf to see if the book's there.
Or asking a salesperson - oops, I mean "sales associate"...

http://knarfinthecity.blogspot.com/2009/03/modern-convenience.html

In most of the big book shops around here, finding where in hell they put a particular class of titles is incredibly time consuming. If I go to the information desk and wait for a salesdroid to come by and provide assistance, all they're going to do is look at the same inventory computer screen that I look at and tell me whether "RQ- V11.24-FR_T" is in inventory, then look up with the same tool where in the store it *might* be, and walk me there.

If I go directly to the computer, I do the same thing in half the time.

Small bookshops ... a completely different world. ;-)