On Mar 19, 2009, at 15:17, frank theriault wrote:

Do you remember the store right across the street from Britnell's?  It
was called Chapters.  It was a family owned new and used book shop.
It had been called Chapters at least 10 years ~prior~ to the Chapters
megastore chain coming into existence.  Chapters (by then owned by
Indigo) took the ma and pa store to court and somehow got a court
order forcing the smaller store to change their name (going against
everything I know about that part of the law - I guess expensive
lawyers really are worth the money).  Ma and pa changed the name but
went out of business about 6 months later - the cost of the lawsuit
did them in.

We had a similar experience with the Amazon Bookstore here in Minneapolis. They'd been around since 1970... then this upstart company shows up online using the Amazon name.

Our little store sued 'em (in 1999) - and won!  :-)

Sadly, or neighborhood store has recently changed ownership and along with that they lost the right to keep using the Amazon name. :-( But it was fun while it lasted. Still nice to have it in the neighborhood, but don't know how long they'll survive in this era of warehouse bookstores!

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com
Minneapolis, MN