> >> I prefer just going to the damned shelf to see if the book's there.
> >> Or asking a salesperson - oops, I mean "sales associate"...
> >>
> >> http://knarfinthecity.blogspot.com/2009/03/modern-convenience.html
> >>
> >> Comments always welcome.
> >
> > Your salespeople/associates know where stuff is??? Wow, I
> must visit your
> > bookstores some time!
>
> How silly of me.  Of course they don't know where stuff is.  As
> Godfrey says, they'll likely just look the damned thing up in the
> computer that I just checked moments before.
>
> cheers,
> frank

The major chain in the UK is Waterstones. They use those things to tell you
whether the book is in stock at another branch, not to tell you where in
this particular branch the book is - that's what the big sign tells you.
I've found them quite convenient - if I can't find the book on the shelf at
the branch I'm in, I can check. If computer says 'No' then I don't bother
schlepping over to the next branch.

Bob