I go to the big bookstores to browse most of the time. Also to see what's new on the shelves, both in books and in periodicals.

Sadly, they've learned the "impulse purchase" way now and often sprinkle new titles all over the place so you can't go to any familiar location and find the new stuff, you have to traverse the whole friggin' store. And it makes things harder to find when you do go in for a specific thing ... at which point, looking up the title/author on the computer and the map to where it *might* be in the store, regardless of the inventory listing, saves a lot of time and energy over finding the salesdroid and having them look for it for you.

*Might* be reflects the ambiguity of their inventory listings. ;-)

Small bookstores are much nicer, more enjoyable places to stop in, look about, chat with the owner or sales people, enjoy the smell and feel of Literature In The Flesh. But they're sadly becoming rare.