On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

>> They still make buggy whips too. I doubt anyone has any
>> illusion that
>> the horse drawn buggy is still "alive" as a transportation machine,
>> though. :-)
>>

> it is, actually. Most of the world's population do not live in the countries
> that we live in, but the horse-, donkey- or ass-drawn buggy is still very
> much alive in many parts of the world. I've seen it personally in Eastern
> Europe, Russia, Africa and India. In general the horses lead pretty
> miserable lives, I must say.

The Amish around central PA seem to take great pride in their horses.
Or at the very least, they take good care of them.  (Perhaps pride is
something they eschew.  I don't know.)  I have yet to see one that
looks mistreated, while most appear healthy and strong with very shiny
coats.

We pass by at least 3 communities between our home and my wife's
Grandmother's house.  It's not uncommon for us to half a dozen horse
drawn buggies over that 80 mile trip.

--
Scott Loveless
Cigarette-free since December 14th, 2008