I have some tri-x in my MX. It's been there for a long time. There's another roll in the fridge. I've been meaning to shoot these for a while but the digital is just too damn easy. Yesterday I decided that I would take the MX and a couple lenses with me to the 2 mile road race my Emily was running (why are these things so early in the morning? Isn't the road there later?) I brought a 50mm and Doug Franklin's 400mm (Doug, I do still have this :)) Nothing really moved me to trip the shutter before the start. I was a little worried about not having enough frames. Film had that weird 12 or 24 or 36 shot limit, remember? I wanted to get the start and the finish plus a shot of Emily as she re-emerged from up the road.

The start: 50mm. She's in a pack and I lost her until she would have been too small in the un-cropped frame to pick out. Manual focus...Didn't even fire once.

Re-emergence: There she is, she's alone, shot framed, 400mm pre-focused and stopped down enough for some DOF. Shutter hangs open. Battery? crap. what's going on? shutter returns but now I need to displace and change lenses, now...

The finish: I'm not in a good position at all. She's running by. I got one shot off with the 50 focused at infinity. It's certainty over exposed and not framed worth a crap.

Digital + Zoom + autofocus + auto exposure have allowed me to be a crap photographer. I certainly LOOKED cool though with my black MX, black mono pod and huge black lens. I bet the guy next to me with his >$100 flip camera got a decent HD video of HIS kid running up the hill to the finish though...

Woe is me :)

CW