Cory Waters wrote:

and Doug Franklin's 400mm (Doug, I do still have this :))

And I'm still looking for the blasted Tamron SD 400 PK-A for you ... :-)

Digital + Zoom + autofocus + auto exposure have allowed me to be a crap
photographer.

Yep, the all-manual approach takes more planning, for sure. :-) My life got a /lot/ easier when I got the AF equipment, especially the Sigma 400. But it still takes a lot of care, just in a different direction. Like picking the right AF point for the action and overriding it when appropriate.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)