Tom wrote:

> OK.  Tell me then... Pentax spends millions of dollars designing an
> instrument and then doesn't hope to sell them in large volumes?  We're not
> talking about Ferraris and Lamborghinis here.  We're talking about something
> that a significant portion of the market could obtain.

The MZ-S is manufactured at 3000 units a month. This is intitial production run. The
Minolta Dynaxx7, which is the closest thing to modern interpretation of an Z-1p, is
reaching volumes at 8000/month. This is not enough for break even on that camera and
Minolta is loosing money on it in spite of being manufactured in the third world. It
should be clear then that if pentax hopes to break even in a camera in this class;
that is, a camera thats technically current, they should aim in the area of 10 000
units a month which is highly unlikely in my opinion.So the alternative is niche
marketing.

> Pentax spiting it's own user base deliberately?  This is too much

The Pentax user base consist mostly of LX, MX, ME etc users. They will be happy with
the latest development on Pentax AF cameras. I think we also can say that 50% of the
Z-1p users are more than happy with the MZ-S so there aren't that many left.

Pål