Hi Shel, that would be my first guess also, plastic. But yet Pal has
claimed to have completely taken apart an "A" lens and said there
was no plastic inside. Since the "A" has the extra ap blade and
requires more parts for the "A" setting, you would sure think the
"A" would weigh more. Maybe it is just thinner metal, or it was
redesigned. Wouldn`t it be nice if a Pentax lab engineer would
chime in and explain it.
Steve Larson
Redondo Beach, California