----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Can you account for the weight difference?
>
> Pål Jensen wrote:
>
> > There is no plastic on the A 50/1,2. I took
> > one fully apart after being drowned in seawater
> > and I couldn't find a single plastic piece.
> --
> Shel Belinkoff

I am not Pål, but one reason to prefer the early K series lenses is the use
of brass in the focussing mechanism,
just as in the screwmount Takumars.
Later K and M series optics use aluminum, and this works only smoothly as
long as there is enough grease.
Brass is a lot heavier than Aluminum, so that is probably the reason that
the K lens is heavier.
The cheaper A optics use plasic in their focussing mechanism, which is very
resistant against seawater :-), the only advantige ?

George