From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Bob W
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:41 PM
To: 'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'
Subject: RE: Trading resolution for depth of field

> Sir,
>
> MY "burden of proof" is no greater than yours.
> If you cant provide any reliable "proof"
> that my contention is not true, then
> your word is no better than mine.

You haven't supplied us with anything that is falsifiable. All you've
given us is unsupported assertions.

> I dont need
> any more "proof" to support my contention than
> you need to support yours.

I've provided you with definitions of terms, a mathematical formula and
a published reference. Others have pointed you to definitions and
formulae which state the same thing as me, and which also have published
references, including references from companies such as Kodak and Zeiss
and the leading optical scientists.

> This is very simple. DOF is all about magnfication
> and f-stop.
>
> I did supply the formula,
>
> relative DOF =  F-stop number/MAGNIFICATION.
>
> INCREASING F-STOP NUMBER OR DECREASING IMAGE MAGINIFICATION increases
> the image relative DOF.
>
> Conversely,
>
> DECREASING THE F-STOP NUMBER OR INCREASING THE
> MAGNIFICATION  decreases the image relative DOF.
>
> If you dont believe me, do some experiments.
> I have, its called about 35 years of practical
> experience to back up what I have read in theory.
> This isn't my theory, this is the correct theory
> that I have read and found to be true over the years.

I have as much experience of practical photography as you do. I can cite
theory, and I can provide references. You cannot provide references, and
the formulae you have provided do not include definitions of terms (such
as DOF), so they're useless.

Give us a respectable reference which supports your claim and these
so-called formulae.

Bob

follow the directions.